Defenestrator vs. Tabor (ROBOT3 HW Week 3)

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

Defenestrator vs. Tabor (ROBOT3 HW Week 3)

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:51 pm

STATS:

Defenestrator: Speed 7 / Traction 6 / Torque 2 / Weapon 4 / Armor 11 (+1 wedgelets and lifting forks)

Tabor: Speed / Traction 4 / Torque 3 / Weapon 7 (5/5) / Armor 10 (+2 plow)

CONFIGS: Normal config (wedgelet pontoons not plow) please. I heard Tabor was going spatula.

STRATEGY:

Be aggressive, and if possible get to the side of her spatula. She’s likely to be sweeping the turret back and forth all over the place, which in a way might actually make things easier for me. Our wedges are pretty close to even with neither of us pressing, and if she presses she not only compromises her drivetrain, but also her ability to maneuver the turret because with most of her weight on her spatula if she tries to swivel it her circular body will rotate instead. A 5-speed lifter will also be pretty sensitive so forcing it down ought to lift her enough to give me an opening. Avoid getting her spatula directly between my lifting forks (if it fits) since at best that’d likely give me locked wedges with a higher-torque opponent. Only press as a last resort.

Swinging her turret sideways is unlikely to work that well because her spatula and plow both have really steep sides, and my wedgelets have sloped sides too. Hers seem likely to just ride up mine.

Try to get a grip on any part of her plow – the spatula, the arms, the… plow – I can, and immediately lift. I can only really grab an articulated thing that’s sticking out way in front of the rest of her chassis so I can’t completely pick her up without Square Waving, but I can force her lifter into the air, and the length of my arm will allow me to drag her backwards onto my wedge while lifting and breaking her traction. At that point, push and drag her around and bang her against the walls until the pin timer runs out, then try to do a “spinning fling.” Her design’s too awkward to suplex, so go for the moves that DO work.

If she gets under me, try to just back off the spatula, raising the lifter a little if she’s under it then immediately lowering it again. I’m still not 100% convinced those little spikes will be enough to keep her from tipping forward when she lifts, especially when the turret’s at an angle and they aren’t sticking straight out. At the very least she’s going to need very good “bite” to do so, and I can just self-right and go back on the attack – even if she tries putting the plow on top of me.

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Re: Defenestrator vs. Tabor (ROBOT3 HW Week 3)

Post by Venice Queen » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:53 am

HELLO YES I AM ROCKET I DECIDED TO GO WITH SPATULA APPARENTLY (no but really she's letting me ghost write this)

Defenestrator: Speed 7 / Traction 6 / Torque 2 / Weapon 4 / Armor 11 (+1 wedgelets and lifting forks)

Tabor: Speed: 6 / Traction: 4 / Torque: 3 / Weapon: 7 (5/5) / Armor: 10 (+2 plow)

__________________________________________________________________________________________

what does he have? a clamp lifter, and a bit more speed. what do I have? a turret and more torque. my wonky wedgebot is designed such that you always have to engage my front. his wonky wedgebot is designed try and win more off of a successful engagement - but this requires him to... actually successfully engage.

my single fork thing should be able to get in between his lifter's forks, or in through some other gap, though it's not necessarily best used in a head-on engagement. when possible, I'd like to "angle in." by angle in, I mean drive at him straight, but have the turret at a bit of an angle, and swing it in at his side as we engage. he'll see it and expect it, but I'm not convinced he can consistently turn his robot to deal with the threat. and if he does, I should still be able to exploit a head-on into my favor.

with the shape I have, lifting is only possible if I pin him, so try to get him into a corner by the short wall and see if I can shove him over it with enough lifter arm wiggling. take your own medicine nerd!

In general, try to position myself towards the middle of the arena: I'm in a unique position as a slower robot that can still command the center because of my turret - even if I can't capitalize on getting under him that well if the turret is beside me (though I can try my best to turn the chassis while keeping the wedge facing that direction to try and get a good shove in), he's still not getting under, so we're at least even on the engage.

Ifw he does get under, I cover some impressive surface area, so I will be rather hard to lift, unless he REALLY gets under. and if he does REALLY get under, I can probably wiggle free with my lifter: I got up, down, left, AND right to spam, and both of my weapons are stronger than his lifter/clamp are.

don't let him back throw me over the wall - recognize when he's trying to go for a quick OOTA, and be willing to disengage. otherwise, measured aggression: keep my space, punish his mistakes.

GL