Visual Assault vs Abyss

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Visual Assault vs Abyss

Post by Venice Queen » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Visual Assault: Speed: 6 / Traction: 5 / Torque: 5 / Weapon: 5 / Armor: 9 (+2 front) - USING DUCKFACE

Abyss: 4/2/1/16/7

he's a black dog clone in shape, which means that his design is reliant on me trying to challenge his wedge. the wedge I'm using is designed to exploit that: I'm very likely to be able to get underneath some part of his bot that doesn't have a fork: and even if I do go fork to fork, his are INCREDIBLY thin: they might still have 7 armor but they could get bent, stuck in a floor seam, or just deflect off the side of my wedge. if he goes with the shorter forks he'll hit my flat plate with the drum before we really have to worry about wedge superiority. when his drum hits the flat front, he won't get under a corner, and will eat a lot of the impact himself, with a weapon that is going to damage itself over the course of the match (keep that in mind when he makes his shock damage argument: we're both on thin ice, not just me).

General gameplan is aggression: I have a 13 armor front, I can afford to smash it into his weapon. start the match by circling around nearer to the wall though, so we don't engage in prime position for me to get smacked near the short wall if I fuck up. in general try to come in off-center or at a slight angle to avoid the middle fork: he really won't be able to challenge this by angling in himself, both because he doesn't have anything to get under other than that one fork, and because he has a bad control ratio and no speed with an incredibly powerful vertical drum: gyro for days.

once we impact once, just keep forcing my face into his fist: use that torque to my advantage to come back quickly, get him smothered into walls sooner (I push at 6 speed!), and in general win the pin him into a corner war through tenacity instead of pure speed.

once I get him pinned, try to flip him. he theoretically has little invertability horns, but I think his drum would still touch the ground - certainly when he's turning at the very least. more importantly, he doesn't have forks when inverted, so I don't have to worry about setting up my ram to avoid them. only flip him to return him to an inverted position, and in general try to get his back towards a wall when he's inverted in case he tries spinning down to self right - he could OOTA himself.

never engage with my back near the short wall, and be willing to run away and self right when needed: I have the drivetrain to get space for myself, he doesn't: it is VERY important that I don't let him snowball hits.

GL

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: Visual Assault vs Abyss

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:39 am

Abyss: 4/2/1/16/7

Visual Assault: 6/5/5/5/9 (+2 front)

He's using his anti-Black Dog attachment. It's worked for him before because his opponents were more focused on winning the wedge war. I'm going to opt out of that. Also, consider the following:

1) 3 corner damage is considerable under these rules and will bend things, making his small wedging surface unusable.

2) I'll also deal considerable shock damage, which should add up over the course of the match.

3) He has nice acceleration but only a two point speed advantage. Coupled with reaction time, he won't be able to consistently dictate and counter my moves.

4) Look at his render. The tip of his wedge is only flush if pressing.

5) He'll be confident in his 13-armour plow, but he probably won't want to let me get under him. He also doesn't have a huge speed edge, so that means angling in is the most likely tactic. That makes him predictable. Exploit that all day.

Spin up, head for the middle, and present my side to him, making it look like gyro oversteer. I have a very narrow cross-section and he has a very narrow wedging surface. If he takes the easy wedge win, back up a hair immediately before contact, which exposes the side of his 'beak' to my weapon. Dart right back in to get underneath, hit for corner damage, and fling him.

If he gets launched, charge and chain before he regains control. I'm not fast, so I probably won't be able to score more than one bonus hit but, with his low chassis armour, that'll still do some critical damage (even at 2/3 power).

If he doesn't take the win, he'll probably circle for his preferred angle. Doing that either means looping WAY around to be safe and losing aggression and control, or exposing some of his side to me. Sweep right into it to hopefully take out a wheel or more.

Present my side throughout the match making me hard to smother, but mix things up. Let him wedge me and then turn immediately, using his momentum against him. As he pushes one of my wheels back, I drive forward with the other, turning in place and getting one of my forks under that front plate of his for a big hit.

If he lifts me over immediately, that's an opportunity. I'm invertible and his wedge is lower than his wheels and top. Try a big, sudden turn when he's about to impact, forcing one of my wheels way up in the air because gyro. Cut the drum momentarily and drop onto his top.

Overall, be slippery, unorthodox, and counterpunch. Obviously, be smart about my driving. Leverage OOTA possibilities near the walls to make his movements predictable, but avoid big hits if I'm upside-down. Attack or hook away pronto when wedged. Compensate for gyro, use it to self-right, and drive within my limits. Run away in reverse to spin back up after hits. He'll only close with 2 speed.

Good luck, dude.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!