Sixpounder vs Kirby

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Sixpounder vs Kirby

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:58 pm

Sixpounder: 8/7/4/1/10 (+1 plow+blocker)

vs.

Kirby (Star Rod): 4/2/1/14/9

I have a massive drivetrain edge (literally double his speed and pushing faster than he can move) as well as a hammer blocker that should stymie him from both the front or an angle. To counter, he has a weapon that can do serious damage if it impacts anywhere behind my wedge and blocker. He has mecanum wheel drive and can't be high-centered when wedged. The challenge for me is clear: negate his hammer and use my drivetrain to dominate. His goal is equally clear: negate my plow and blocker to deal damage. Noah's a tricky one, though, and his bot has options, so there are a few outside-the box approaches he could take.

Rules-based challenge: Hey, no concerns were raised about my configs and setups prior to the tournament. I'll assume that hasn't changed.

He starts sideways and tries shenanigans: This could involve a sideways start and matador move, baiting me to overshoot. It could take some other form, like a hook move or diagonal cut. General rule of thumb for countering during approach is just to keep my plow facing where his weapon will land at all times.

Strafing to get an angle: Yes, he has mecanums. I also have double his speed. I can and will cut him off. I also have a bit of protection along the arms of my plow, which means he'll have to get well around to land the big hit.

Gonzo aggression to bend my blocker or wedge: The issue with this approach is that he's not scoring that sweet corner damage if my blocker is catching his hammer shaft. It's 3 flat-surface on a 7 damage scale. I can also try to make sure that he's not always hitting the same place. Additionally, his hammer head has very little depth and I have those ablative 'pipes' on the top which'll soak some damage. If he just tees off on the wedge, well, he'll bend it a bit or punch some holes. It'll still more or less do his job, and he has no wedge of his own.

Use his 360ness to climb my wedge somehow: Blocker's pretty tall and it'll catch him. Also, beyond his Chomp-style setup is a single shaft that's still getting blocked. If it turns out he manages, somehow, the ablative pipes will do their job and then I can adjust by keeping him side-on.

Overall plan is just to be an aggressive brick, keeping my plow in position to block him, and slamming him into walls at every opportunity. I want him to see a lot of those walls. Watch for him trying to maneuver while on my wedge and possibly slipping off the side for a free shot. I can push faster than he can drive, so it's actually possible to adjust and keep him wedged pretty much the entire time. Pin more if I'm taking damage. Slam more if he's struggling to land.

GL dude!
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

V900
Team: End of the Line LLC

Re: Sixpounder vs Kirby

Post by V900 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:59 pm

ok libtard
V900 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:52 pm Image

So first thing's first, he has 9 chassis armor which is pretty much OHKO territory if I get so much as a single hit in.

Speaking of defense, let's talk about that plow. He's got these hammer blockers up on top of his plow with 11 armor, which means it'll take 3 points of corner damage:
Significant damage. The flat surface bends noticeably, and openings will form with repeated impacts. Equivalent to 3 points of corner damage.
The plow itself also has 11 armor, making it an even worse option for blocking the hammer. That causes his entire plow to bend, meaning it can't even get under my wedgeless ass. I think his plow+blockers can facetank maybe 2 or 3 hits total before being completely bent to shit and functionally useless.

As for my actual strategy, it's the usual V900 slowbot fare. This time though, I've got rollers to make it work even better. I wanna basically just strafe along the taller wall and aim my hammer in his general direction. He WILL try to angle in or go "oh i have twice his speed so i can just flank him", but:
1. I'll keep this in mind and predict his movement and strafe accordingly. Hard enough to flank a regular-wheeled bot, good luck with a mechanum bot.
2. His ability to do so will be gimped by the wall being next to me.

Use my OHKO win condition to deter any aggression he throws at me, this also hampers his chances at a JD victory. Can't lolplow me if I'm constantly threatening you with the ol' barbed assrammer.

If he wedges me from the front, great. My hammer's hella long and will reach over the hammerbar for an instant KO.
If he wedges me from the side (somehow), use my exceptional (not Tongue of the Fatman-tier, but still higher than average) ground clearance and omniwheels to correct myself. I don't think he can OOTA me on the shorter wall either between the low power + geometry of his lifter and the fact I have a weighty stick to fling my center of gravity around with, but better safe than sorry rite?

TL;DR threaten him with the hammer to juke him out, pounce when he's in my line of sight (either forward or backward).

I'm pretty much at wordlimit now so gl hf