ROBOTS 3 LW Week 1: Hard News vs. MADSCIENCE

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Whammerist

ROBOTS 3 LW Week 1: Hard News vs. MADSCIENCE

Post by Whammerist » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:48 am

Hard NewsMADSCIENCE
ImageImage
Speed: 5Speed: 16 (read: 1; because lmao melty)
Traction: 3Traction: 1
Torque: 1Torque: 1
Weapon: 15 (14 spinner, 1 sri-mech)Weapon: 2 (1 melty [functionally 16], 1 flames, 1 punch bar
Armour: 6 (+1 bar)Armour: 10 (+2 teeth)
Config: N/AConfig: "First one listed" AKA 16/1+5/1/2(1/1/1)/10(+2 teeth)

Hmm... for my first ever ARC battle - it's not quite looking terrific for me on paper. However, I think I've got enough aces up my sleeve to tilt the odds in my favor. Let's crunch the numbers and roll some dice, shall we?

Let's talk about the good news first - I'm significantly faster than my opponent and should be able to box rush him, catching him not all that far away from his corner. The bad and the ugly? The blow will do a sizable amount of damage to me, and minimal damage to the lovely resident MADSCIENTIST. Here's what we have to do: after the aforementioned box rush, as I'm approaching the enemy bot, angle in dramatically in the direction that my angled spinner is spinning upwards, in an effort for our weapon on weapon collision to kick my opponent as high in the air that I can. They've got the lowest amount of functional traction as far as protecting them from knockback goes, so ideally, they should go flying. [If I'm correct, 14 PWR spinner - 1 traction = 13 feet of displacement in some direction].

1) If this works enough to send him over the quite short 1.5-foot wall? Woo! I just won the match with an OOTA. EZ.

1b) Even if this isn't the case, odds are, the robot has just slammed hard against the arena wall. If they're on their side and/or propped up against the wall, with their punching bar facing upwards, this could be enough to win the match via immobilization KO outright. Even if the punching bar is facing the ground, this gives me the opportunity to rush back in while they attempt to unstick themselves, and strike MADSCIENCE directly in the exposed chassis for massive damage. At that point, they're either still up against the wall due to my wedge / superior torque or careening off in an unstable matter in some direction after taking a massive, armor bending hit to the chassis of their melty-brain - unlike their initial hit to my bar, News's hit has the potential to be weapon-disabling for sure, and at the very least, should leave him open and unstable / not spinning for another attack to the chassis, which furthers the opportunity to disable their weapon or end the fight.

As a contingency plan, if I'm somehow knocked away or otherwise put into a position where MADSCIENCE has the potential to spin back up - I've got a massive speed advantage that should allow me when to choose to engage, and re-angle in once more. My bar should hopefully be durable enough to be able to rinse and repeat this plan however much I need to - this gives me more OOTA chances, more immobilization KO chances, and more chassis hit / weapon-disabling chances. Lots of dice rolls where I've got long odds to succeed... but they will almost certainly add up as the fight continues.

Lastly, an obligatory "I will not drive stupid"... if his weapon's down, we go after him until he perishes, if we're flipped somehow, we self-right with sri-mech, etc. You get the drill.

Good luck!!

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: ROBOTS 3 LW Week 1: Hard News vs. MADSCIENCE

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:30 pm

MADSCIENCE: 16/1 (+5)/1/2 (1/1/1)/10 (+2 teeth)

vs.

Hard News: 5/3/1/15 (+1 srimech)/6 (+1 bar)

Okay, I should keep this simple, but I'm me and I can't. Apologies. I have a massive weapon-to-weapon advantage, dealing 5 damage to his bar and 11 to his chassis, both of which should be corner damage, as well as 5.5 (5) shock damage on every hit. A OHKO is legitimately on the table or, if not, disabling his weapon or a side of his drive immediately is. In return, his offensive threat is minimal and he has to know it, so something desperate is incoming. I think that's still unlikely to work for the following reasons:

Possible box rush? He doesn't have even close to the drivetrain to boxrush, and I have a very fast spin-up time thanks to the melty spin-up buff.

Possible crowding and attempt to hit the chassis while I'm spun down? This isn't a videogame where you have a health pool. Actual useful mechanical things will break from 5 corner damage, and that first hit should seriously mess him up. I also have low traction and will ping off the walls. This is supposed to be a bad thing, but watch melties fight in real life. They pinball with such force (often off of multiple walls) that it carries them far from their opponents in unpredictable directions and actually makes them really hard to chase down. Plus, he's slow and has poor acceleration and I have a really quick spinup and the panic-button ability to use my drivetrain normally to jet away with zero control but crazy speed for a split second and buy myself some space.

Possible OOTA attempt? Bot listed on the left starts by the low wall. I'm on the right, so I'm against the high walls. His spinner also doesn't have the angle to really catch and launch me, especially given how low my teeth sweep compared to how low his bar does.

Just go weapon to weapon and hope for the best? I win this head to head based on pure numbers.

Main plan is to spin up, get the flamethrower going, and move a bit away from the corner. The area of his front that his weapon actually covers is very small. Yeah, I'm slow, but a strafe to the side before he hits will either force him to turn and maybe cause some gyro, or will mean that I can hit his chassis directly. If I pinball following the hit, I'll spin back up the moment my wheels have solid contact with the floor. If he's closing in too fast and I'm pointed in a safe direction, jet away a bit and then spin up. Whenever I'm up to speed, if his blade's dead, or if his drivetrain's hurting, go full aggression.

Welcome to ARC, and good luck!
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!