ROBOT3 LW Week 1: Hallucinogen vs. Nuclear Plague

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

ROBOT3 LW Week 1: Hallucinogen vs. Nuclear Plague

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:18 am

STATS:

Speed 5, Traction 3, Torque 1, Weapon 12, Armor 9 (+2 wedge)... not specifying for which bot because they both seriously have the exact same stats.

CONFIG DECLARATION: Dylan said he's going with his drum. I'm also going drum spinner. (Insert Pointing Spiderman meme here).

STRATEGY:

Okay I am NOT buying Nukeplague self-righting with the drum. His teeth will dig into the floor at a low angle and at high rpm, and as his bot pivots backwards on its wheels his back corner, which is WAY behind the wheels, will hit the floor and take away his angular momentum.

Spin up, come out cautiously, and avoid contact until we’re both at full speed. With both bots upright we’re dead even in just about everything, including wedges. Yes he has forks, but note that my wedge has a big gap in the middle for the drum, and the forward-facing green parts that are actually ground-scraping are pretty close to being as narrow as his forks. I think my forks might also be a bit farther apart so his could go between mine, but this looks like it’d cause a weapon-to-weapon hit. Try to go for him approximately head-on unless I’ve lost multiple wedge exchanges without winning any, in which case start erratically slaloming around and trying to angle in on his forks. Consider throttling the drum down a little bit in this case to reduce gyro effects: I can still toss him, and if I get him on his back I can crank it up to full power.

I might lose some wedge exchanges but both bots can’t really hurt the other weapon-to-weapon or weapon-to-wedge – 1 corner damage and 2 shock damage ain’t much. We both need to get a chassis shot. But if I’m flipped I retain full mobility and a functional weapon. Run away and spin back up. Only try gyro-ing back over if I have a LOT of space or he’s lost a drive side: otherwise charge into him (don’t do this at a position/angle that risks an OOTA) and let our drums do the work. If I get him inverted, go for the followup and keep going for followups until he’s righted, OOTAed, or dead. If his drum’s stopped by the floor consider reversing into him and trying to push him into the corner before turning around and going for an OOTA.

If I’m wrong and he CAN somehow self-right with the drum… it’s still basically an even game :V, and if I can get a followup while his weapon’s slowed down after he self-rights I might be able to get him stuck inverted and temporarily weaponless.

GL HF

Badnik96

Re: ROBOT3 LW Week 1: Hallucinogen vs. Nuclear Plague

Post by Badnik96 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:40 am

well this should be fun

The interesting thing about our two robots here is that his drum is wider than mine, and he doesn't have any sort of black dog-type wedgelets sitting under them. what that means is every time we clash head-to-head, his drum is taken off the ground before we hit, meaning mine will always get the lower bite and win the exchange. This allows me to capitalize more often and eventually get the knockout blow. So the plan here is to press this advantage and force him to meet head-to-head every time we need to meet. Since we otherwise are essentially the same robot, this is the ticket to win.

If he comes straight at me, good! that's what i want. If he tries to angle in, angle back at him and try to force as close to a head-on collision as possible. Although he may still lose the angling war, based on how the front of his robot is shaped. Keep playing this game, don't be too overly aggressive, and wait for the eventual kill shot. Once I knock him in the air, or upside-down, press this advantage for as long as possible, chaining hits and sticking to him like glue.

If I'm wrong and he does end up winning, there's nothing stopping me from trying the ol' angle-in myself, and if he isn't expecting this kind of mix-up it could work wonderfully. In the worst-case scenario that he does end up getting a clean shot and flipping me over, don't panic, simply gun it full speed in reverse and self-right. This should hopefully give me enough distance to at least try to recover before he can come by and kill me, but I'm not expecting to get flipped in this fight, as there isn't really any way for his drum to hit something at that kind of angle.

GLHFL
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ