CBC3 MW Week 13: JEVIL vs Manglerfish

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Trihunter
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Team: Cool Story Brobotics

CBC3 MW Week 13: JEVIL vs Manglerfish

Post by Trihunter » Thu May 02, 2019 2:40 pm

JEVILManglerfish
ImageImage
Speed: 9Speed: 6
Traction: 8Traction: 5
Torque: 1Torque: 2
Weapon: 0Weapon: 10
Armour: 12Armour: 7
Config: Rainbow WheelsConfig: 2-Pronged Plow
As usual, Jevil's gonna go a bit ham here, so the RP's going to be more fragmented than usual, focusing around various tactics to employ. As usual, the overall gameplan is to deny damage and control whilst scoring plenty of aggression points. Manglerfish can't exactly threaten a kill since saws generally have to be able to stop their opponent to do more than throw off sparks, and also lol12armour.

Manglerfish likely suffers a height problem versus Jevil. Only way I see it even reaching is via utilizing the saw in a more vertical position to try and catch the chassis, since we'll monstertruck over them otherwise. But a very fast thwack moving at incredibly high speed, pushing on a higher-up part of Manglerfish like that is likely to induce a torque on Manglerfish itself. Basically, ramming into Manglerfish without trying to vert-thwack will likely throw the thing over onto its back, where its wheels don't go, forcing it to waste some time self-righting. Either that or the motor in charge of moving it gets upset at the unexpected force and craps itself entirely, snapping backwards, which would be a welcome surprise. From the start of the match, go at RAMMING SPEED towards Manglerfish (though be a little careful if they're trying to go around, wouldn't want to fall over too much) and try to topple it over, keeping going and lugging it along the floor a bit with the thwack knife, see if we can force them into the hazards. In fact, start the match upside down. Makes it easier to hook them. Probably.

If tossing Manglerfish on its arse isn't proving too helpful, or it's catching us with the upright saw (somehow), utilize raw speed and the torque we have to attempt to meander them onto more awkward terrain. If they've got the saw going, it will not like having to deal with its target jostling about. Jevil can't be fully pinned for the most part, and if they've cut a nice little groove into Jevil somewhere that the blade's in, a jostle from the ramp or from Jevil just changing direction could potentially shag up the blade a bit, possibly snap it.

tl;dr: Do this to Manglerfish or something. Deny control, deny damage, stomp on aggression.
Accolades
Official participant in ARCcon Europe
ROBOT 2 FW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 MW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 HW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 Most Trophies (Runner-up)
Official voter in OSCARC 2018
Best Meme 2018 (Mimi-Chan)
Trophies
ICEcrown Champion (Steelhead)
CBC3 SHW Runner-Up (Hartmann's Youkai Bot II)
CBC4 LW Runner-Up (Scrapper)
ROBOT4 Sportsman Runner-Up (Split Personality)

Hooray For Lexan

Re: CBC3 MW Week 13: JEVIL vs Manglerfish

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Fri May 03, 2019 4:00 pm

Two-pronged plow please.

Jevil’s quick, but it can’t hit hard enough as a vertical thwack to do any damage. On the other hand, its sheer height makes it almost impossible for most robots to control and push around.

First of all, box rush over the ramp: I want that achievement. After that, bring the saw arm up to about a 45 degree angle in front of me. Two reasons for this: first, I don’t want him hooking those spikes into vulnerable areas in my weapon drivetrain, and the saw’s protective cover should keep them away. Second, it makes me much taller, hopefully enough to push against his main chassis. If pushing against him like this makes me tip backwards, lower it until the blade’s a few inches above ground and/or raise it to 90 degrees and attack in reverse.

I know it’s going to be almost impossible to make him hold still for a sustained cut, or even reach the chassis with my saw. Instead, I’m just going to constantly stay on the attack, ramming him, shoving him around, and as mentioned trying to use my saw arm as a pushing stick. I’ve also got my plow with the longest / tallest forks on, to be the biggest mobile obstruction / speed bump possible. Try to keep shoving him into the hazards (esp. Saucers), get him trapped on the spikes if possible (they can’t high-center him but they’ll stop his wheels moving freely), use the sides of the ramp as another wall. Stick to him like glue: he can’t control me at ALL. Even if he hooks his thwack onto something I can drag him around with my higher torque.

See if I can hook my arm over his tail and use it as a clamp to drag him around. If I ever get anything like a pin try to cut into his hubcaps, or see if I can cut through his thwacking tail. Otherwise just keep the saw turned off.

NOTE: If he’s turned his thwack head horizontal, be careful to keep him from reaching my sides, and keep the saw arm behind me so that he can’t get corner hits on it. My plow should deflect him fairly well, but don’t just rush in while he’s spinning.