SHW: Santangelo vs. Lifter 2: Electric Boogaloo

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

SHW: Santangelo vs. Lifter 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Madman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:44 pm

Santangelo: 8 speed / 7 traction / 2 torque / 1 weapon / 12 armour

vs.

Lifter 2: Electric Boogaloo: 7 speed / 6 traction / 3 torque / 3 weapon / 11 armour

Woodshed is a veritable hellhole of an arena for most bots, but not for mine. With 12 armour, I meet the minimum threshold for taking only 2 damage from even the murdersaw, so my bot's safe, including its wheels. Meanwhile, Lifter 2 falls just below this threshold and has vulnerable tracks. Most importantly, I have the better wedge: toothed 2WD vs effective toothed hinged unless he presses. The big problem is that if he presses, his bot overhangs his tracks a lot at the back and I don't see any kind of ground clearance in his reference pic. He's gonna high-end himself, allowing me to angle in or even flank with impunity. Obviously, he's also going to be high-ended if I wedge him at all too.

Saying that I beat him because stats+design is only one half of a compelling RP, though. The other part's strategy. I basically need to leverage my ability to escape his wedge/lifter (which doesn't have much depth) against his inability to quickly and effectively escape mine, which is crucial in an arena so full of hazards. Get in there and wedge him. Watch for pressing and trying to leverage his very slight control margin to make up for his shortfall in speed. Angle and/or flank if he presses and high-ends himself. Otherwise, go for the head-to-head, which I'll usually win. If I don't, his wedge has no depth. Hook off immediately. If I get flipped, obviously self-right. Watch for hazard baiting, which is going to be really tough for him to do given the frequency of hazards in the area combined with the fact that these are SHW bots. Watch for sneaky shit with the log rollers in particular, which he mentioned on discord. Generally play this fight as an aggressive wedge. Get the pit open, wedge him, and shove him into it. Obviously don't play with fire myself. If the murdersaw is there for the taking, line him up perpendicular to it and flip him into it, with the idea of messing up his treads.

GL
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49

Hiicantpk

Re: SHW: Santangelo vs. Lifter 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Hiicantpk » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:47 pm

SantangeloLifter 2: Electric Boogaloo
Speed: 8Speed: 7
Traction: 7Traction: 6 (+1 Tread bonus)
Torque: 2Torque: 3
Weapon: 1Weapon: 3
Armour: 12Armour: 11
Santangelo may have one speed over me, but I have perfect control compared to their -1, I out-torque them (especially with my treads), and I can contest their 2wd wedge with my pressing lifter.

Start with my rear wedge facing out, and quickly head out of my square at the start. I want to stay far away from the pit near the murdersaw so Instead of going around and right at my opponent, I want to move closer to the gap between the two log rollers on my side of the arena. Once I've reached there or when Santangelo is approaching, point at them and press. If they attempt to go around me, they will likely hit the log rollers, which can cause traction issues for them or possibly even catch the wedgelets or front tip of the wedge, allowing me to quickly rotate to face them, get under, lift and push. Even if I can get one wheel off the ground, that'll be a passive pushing advantage for me, and I can shove Santangelo into the walls, the Hacksaws, Chopper row or possibly even into the murdersaw (if one of the triggers is pressed, if not maybe I can lift them up/over the low wall).

If that doesn't work out, I still want to try to use the gaps between the two sets of log rollers as a position to force Santangelo to come at my front. If its not working, Go more on the aggressive. Try to avoid the murdersaw area and stay on Santangelo. They don't have the speed to get to my sides, especially with my perfect control. Lift, push, bring to hazards, If I can push them into the triggers for the Log Chute, so do but don't risk putting myself in a place where I can be pinned/flipped.

I don't think I'll get to use my rear wedge much this game, but if need be I can use it to hook under the front sides of Santangelo to get under in reverse and attempt to do something while moving in reverse.
".. if Kody is removing OOTAs, I'm flying to Canada for the sole purpose of taking a shit down his chimney. :v: " - GF93

Team 57