Chimera vs Tabor

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Chimera vs Tabor

Post by Venice Queen » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Tabor: Speed: 6 | Traction: 4 | Torque: 3 | Weapon: 7 (5 turret / 5 lifter) | Armour: 10 (+2 lifter) | DOING THIS https://i.imgur.com/F625GwX.png

Chimera: Speed: 8 / Traction: 6 / Torque: 2 / Weapon: 5 / Armor: 9 (+1 top (doesn’t include weapon)) DOING THIS https://i.imgur.com/DbkxT0E.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Her fatal flaw will be over-trusting her turret. That duck faced tip is the only part of the robot that will be ground scraping - so when she swings the turret around, it will ride up my front wedge: even the red part is ground scraping. she can also only press the turret when it is facing fully forewards: Tabor has literally no ground clearance, and will immediately beach itself if it is lifted from anywhere other than head-on. The turret moves quickly, which will make it hard to perfectly align head on. her lifter also has a lot of moving parts - more possibility for a mistake.

Be patient: this arena is super snow-ball-ey because of all the hazards: whoever gets under first is VERY likely to win.

2 ways to approach: head-on or angling in. head on doesn't work when she's pressing, angling in doesn't work when she expects it. so the simple solution is to force her to press by going head-on, offset to one side, or at a very slight angle (doing the latter 2 more if her wedge beats me pretty often, or if she isn't pressing, since I can still get under any part of her that isn't the tip of her wedge easily). then, angle, forcing her to rotate the turret while pressing, which will beach her robot at an angle and make it easy to get under.

once under, chain flip to available hazards: this arena is cramped enough that the 2-4 flips I can chain together are enough to get me where I need - and if she's inverted or beached (WHICH IS EASY TO DO TO HER), I can also push a bit. her armor bonus leaves her vulnerable to damage, and I can OOTA.

if gotten under, back off, j-hook, etc. her lifter is extremely long so lifting me is untenable until I'm far on, and I've a good drivetrain advantage. if inverted, drive to safety before self-righting.

If she camps, turn on the murdersaw and then trap her between hazards. keep in mind that even though she can have her wedge face me, if it's not head on, I can approach offset from her center- she won't be able to swing the wedge around under me easily because of the single point of contact (since I can just turn into the turret as it rotates).

GL

Rocket

Re: Chimera vs Tabor

Post by Rocket » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Using Spatula Config
This is a difficult matchup for Tabor, but we're not without options, especially in the festival of hazards that is The Woodshed. The plan is therefore as follows:-

First, set up the Murdersaw hazard by pressing the button on my side of the field. This is where most of tonight's damage is going to come from, and since the pit is asking for trouble against a flipper, I'm going to need those damage points for the inevitable JD. Then we take Chimera on head-on. Tabor is the queen of angling in, courtesy of the turret's combination of high speed and perfect control; this is what the bot was built to do, even against high-speed control flippers like Chimera. Aim for the red wedges and go.

Now, Chimera's faster (though 10 vs. 8 isn't a huge gap), but we have the same control differential and Tabor's got more torque, making her accelerate quicker and more able to push Chimera around. My other advantage is range; my spatula tip seems longer than his forks, so I can get to the flat hinged wedges either side of his weapon and have a great chance at winning the wedge war. If I do get underneath, lift him straight away; it'll be tough for him to manoeuvre with only two of his eight(!) wheels on the floor, and that way I can get him over to take some pretty serious damage from the Murdersaw. If by that point the saw has stopped moving, just turn him over near the low wall. He's invertible, but his wedge is useless that way up, so he'll probably waste time and flips self-righting and/or running away. Both those things are fine by me. The important thing is to stay on him. Keep him flailing around, feed him to various hazards, and generally make life difficult for him.

If and when he gets under me, things get a bit trickier. Even if he manages to get underneath my lifter, all a flip will accomplish is, uh, moving the lifter backwards. To get underneath my actual chassis, he effectively has to win the wedge war twice, courtesy of Tabor's fashionable side skirts. Still, the distance between the tip of his flipper and Tabor's chassis is enough that I've got more time to swerve/J-hook away, reset my wedge, and counterattack. If he does manage a flip, I can self-right quickly and easily in multiple unexpected directions. I'll pick different ones each time, keeping him on the back foot.

Obligatory "don't drive like a mescaline-sodden gannet" remark here.

All jokes aside, Chimera is a great bot. Good luck, Gabe, and have fun. =]
TEAM WORST SWORDSMAN
"The world's best swordsman doesn't fear the second-best; he fears the worst swordsman, because he can't predict what the idiot will do."

Active Roster:-
VEXED!
LW: TRILOBITE! (1-0) (Lifetime: 3-4)

Cherry Bomb Classic 4
MW: DRAGONFIST (6-1) (Lifetime: 15-9)
HW: TABOR MARK 4 (4-3) (Lifetime: 12-14)

Full Roster
Lifetime Figures: 42-51 (0.452)