CBC3 MW Week 9: Manglerfish vs. Carbonemys

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

CBC3 MW Week 9: Manglerfish vs. Carbonemys

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 pm

ManglerfishCarbonemys
ImageImage
Speed: 6Speed: 4
Traction: 5Traction: 2
Torque: 2Torque: 1
Weapon: 10 (+3 saw arm)Weapon: 15
Armour: 7Armour: 9 (+1 plow)

Four-pronged plow please.

A fifteen-power hammer? With a relatively tall, narrow body and a heavy head? That thing is gonna be Chomp levels of unstable if not even worse. It’s going to flip itself over nearly every single time it fires that weapon, especially if it’s turning.

I need to come out and start circling it, staying out of hammer range and trying to frustrate Alex. I know he’s not dumb enough to just swing at thin air, so after a bit of that, zoom through his hammer’s threat area moving at an angle so that he has to keep turning to keep it pointed at me. I’m taking a risk, but it’ll make it harder for him to aim, and if he misses, again he’s probably going to either pop himself high in the air or outright flip himself onto his side.

If he flips himself, immediately rush in to get to his underside and bring my arm forward. Push him into the wall (preferably the lobotomizers but whatever’s closest), and try to saw into his treads. I’m not sure how well it’ll work, but if I can jam or break a tread he’s screwed. He claims he can drive on the road wheels. I do NOT buy this for the simple reason that the road wheels don’t actually stick out past the bottom of those side guards. Taking out one side of his drive should make it much, MUCH easier to attack from angles the hammer can’t reach. Try to repeat and get the other side.

If he’s turtling against the wall or otherwise I’m not getting any openings, I have a plan B: bring the arm forward and charge straight into him, jamming it into the slot down the center of his shell. I want to get my saw guard as close as possible to the fulcrum of his hammer as possible, so that it can’t complete a full stroke and can’t hit any part of me with the force-concentrating head. If my saw cover is narrow enough to let me reach the armor in there then saw into it, otherwise just use the arm as a clamp and force him back into the arena hazards. His tracks are exposed at the back, a bonesaw can sever them.

Tl;dr either bait him into flipping himself or prop the turtle’s mouth open, go for broke.

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: CBC3 MW Week 9: Manglerfish vs. Carbonemys

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:52 pm

Okay, HFL is going to pick apart my design with engineering stuff and hyperbole: unstable AF, vulnerable treads, some other obscure thing he can exploit. Let’s assume, for argument’s sake, that those are true. I still have a weapon that only needs one meaty hit to either kill his bot or cripple it. He needs extended contact in the exact same place and, between his only slight speed advantage (8-6), the fact that his weapon isn't actually a clamp and has no means of retraining control over me, and a weapon like mine that can easily jar me loose he's not going to be getting it. The point is that he can afford far fewer things going wrong and needs a lot more to go exactly right than I do in order to pull off a win.

This arena is stupid. I admit it, but I’m going to use it to my advantage by manually pushing the doors open at the start so they don’t auto-open instead. However, I’m not going all of the way through. I’m gonna sit there with my front protruding and the doors resting against my sides. Cheap. I know. I’m a turtle. My sides will be protected and he'll be forced to come at me head on. Time his approach and swing. I either hit his chassis or buckle that arm, which is pretty likely, since it's easy to hit, lengthwise, if he approaches straight on.

Maybe the door tactic won't work or last forever. In that case, he's almost certain to circle, angle, and attempt to flank. He'll try feeding my treads to the hazards. He might go for the house robots, but he'd have to push me for quite far, 2 torque vs 1, while I can squirm loose easily by driving and (if necessary) jarring with the hammer. Primarily, get into open space. If he goes for flanking/circling, play his game for a couple of seconds, to be predictable, and then just back straight up to catch him out. Drop the hammer. If he gets me on my side, fire when he scoops me up to jar myself free. If he flanks successfully, turn while wedged immediately, get square, and unleash.

Basically, focus on scoring that big hit or two through careful timing and just playing an aggressively and be squirmy immediately whenever controlled by him or in danger.

GL, my dude.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!