CBC3 HW Week 8: Petaflare vs Black Diamond

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Trihunter
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Team: Cool Story Brobotics

CBC3 HW Week 8: Petaflare vs Black Diamond

Post by Trihunter » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:43 pm

PetaflareBlack Diamond
ImageImage
Speed: 5Speed: 8
Traction: 4Traction: 6
Torque: 1Torque: 2
Weapon: 13 (12 Crusher, 1 srimech) Weapon: 5
Armour: 6 (Effective 10 on crusher & wedge)Armour: 9
2HDR config.

Okay, to keep it simple, we need to bust their wedge and crush through the bot as much as possible. They have a better drivetrain, but hopefully our wide wings will make that tougher to pull off. From the start, make a fairly quick approach, though slow when we get close enough so we've time to angle in. Getting our main wedge under theirs is obviously the better target, though if we catch them with the side wedges, that's good too. If they get under the side wedges, they should ride up the wedge, giving nothing to push, and letting us turn to counterattack. And if our side wedges get under, their angle should allow us to push and corral them back into the crush zone. Keep a sort of mid-ranged strategy, applying pressure with driving but not going full aggro. We need to keep pressure up and consistently get under them where it counts. If we can crumple the plow and bugger the wedge, that'd be good, if not, just busting the flipper mechanism via popping an axle would also be helpful. Stick them in the wall if need be to confirm crushes.
tl;dr: Wedge harder, play the middle ground between offensive and defensive driving, crush hard, spark cannons or something.

Best of luck to the opposition.
Accolades
Official participant in ARCcon Europe
ROBOT 2 FW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 MW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 HW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 Most Trophies (Runner-up)
Official voter in OSCARC 2018
Best Meme 2018 (Mimi-Chan)
Trophies
ICEcrown Champion (Steelhead)
CBC3 SHW Runner-Up (Hartmann's Youkai Bot II)
CBC4 LW Runner-Up (Scrapper)
ROBOT4 Sportsman Runner-Up (Split Personality)

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: CBC3 HW Week 8: Petaflare vs Black Diamond

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:19 pm

Black Diamond: 8/6/2/5/9
Vs.
Petaflare: 5/4/1/13(+1 srimech)/6

The wedge game is more or less a wash, but he’s slower against my quick-firing while I’m faster against his slower one.
Weapon to weapon, he does 14 damage to my 11 armoured plow in theory, but I’ve got that great big blocking bar in the way, which can at least act partially as ablative armour, bending instead of the flipper itself. While three damage isn’t nothing, it’s also not realistically going to disable my flipper without a lot of repeated crushing. Crushers tend to be slow. I have 8 speed to his 5 and can’t be high centered.

Meanwhile, flips are actually really dangerous to him in this config, and that’s not just because I have a 5 power flipper and this arena has four OOTA zones with 1.5 foot walls. Look carefully at the pic of his bot with those two big orange wings. There’s no mention of their hinges being limited, unlike his normal wings. The only limiter is the chassis itself. His srimech arms are also hella slow and only travel along one axis. If I flip him right and he ends up on his side or with one or both of the arms folded under him or otherwise awkwardly, he’s either immobilized or has to slowly and awkwardly multi-stage wriggle himself upright, which you bet I’ll be interrupting and using to line him up for an OOTA attempt. Even the force of one of his wings being flung into his side by my flipper could tip him.

If an OOTA proves impractical due to his big wings and the shape of the zone, don’t waste time forcing it. Just keep getting under him and flipping aggressively. Angle a bit if I have to but, mostly, just be ready to j-hook off immediately if I see the tip of his wedge getting under mine. As long as his claw isn’t closed, my flipper can just fire into it and fling him that way occasionally. Even if I’m wedged and caught, I won’t be high-centered and I have the torque edge.

In general, leverage my speed and torque edges to avoid being pinned and crushed, to ruthlessly angle in, outwedge when I can, and harry him. Use my powerful flipper to take advantage of those wings, stranding him for a possible KO or long periods without actively pinning (unless I’m out of gas).

Good luck, my dude!
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!