Clown Recluse vs. Magnolia Pico - R4 Middleweight FINAL

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

Clown Recluse vs. Magnolia Pico - R4 Middleweight FINAL

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Hoo boy.

Pico has a slight speed advantage and can strafe from side to side, but it shouldn’t be enough to flank me.

Start VERTICAL. Spin up and come out of my square aggressively, moving as erratically as possible. I’m not going to be able to avoid attacking him head-on, so attack him head-on as quickly as possible, turning at the last second. If he tries to strafe the direction I’m turning I can just hit him, if he strafes the opposite direction retreat, turn around, and come back in again.

I’ve got a better wedge and can flip him over, as well as causing some damage to his wedge. However, my main target is his legs. Once I get him over either attack his legs from the side or maneuver so that he’ll land on my blade as he self-rights. If he ends up caught on my weapon support or something weird like that I can transition to horizontal and essentially act like an undercutter. There isn’t technically an armor penalty for legs in the rules, but he has ten (so, less weight put into each leg) legs with three joints. Hitting them directly with a spinner should fuck them up. At a minimum this will force him to keep his legs retracted. Once he gets free or I have to release the pin, run off and get back in vertical mode.

His hammer’s very dangerous, and there’s not a foolproof way for me to avoid it. However, Clown Recluse is an extremely awkward shape to target with a hammer; he can really only hit my chassis, which requires him to be at a very narrow range of distance from me which robots can cross very quickly. If the bots are at an angle to each other or if we’re absolutely dead-center my weapon and supports can also get in the way of his hammer, and as long as it’s the hammer shaft and not the head hitting I shouldn’t take much, if any damage.

So yeah, basically be as aggressive as possible and try to keep flipping him over, then go for followup hits on his legs and keep knocking him around and overturning him as much as possible, and hope my shape keeps me from taking a lethal hammer blow.

Good Luck, and may the best robot win!

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: Clown Recluse vs. Magnolia Pico - R4 Middleweight FINAL

Post by The Monsterworks » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:08 am

Okay, sorry for the slightly late post. My phone has given up the ghost and it sucks.

He does little damage to my plow, basically no damage to my hammer, and I'm faster and much more maneuverable due to my strafing ability and the pretty massive gyroscopic forces he'll have to contend with while vertical and the weapon torque pulling him to one side while he's horizontal. I also do catastrophic damage with every hammer blow.

If he goes vertical, there's the danger of him flipping me, so unlock the wedge so it's loosely hinged and should soak up most of the impact force from the blade if he gets under. Come out fast and fire with abandon. Strafe to the side before impact and force him to turn with me, especially if he goes vertical. That large and powerful a weapon that far in front of his wheelbase will be a nightmare to turn with. If he goes horizontal, then turn against the direction that his weapon torque pulls him in. Also, one good hit to the top of his weapon supports if he goes horizontal should warp them into his blade.

Keep him in my hammer's killzone and me out of his. Sudden turning should not be his friend, and will put his weapon at an angle to my front, while strafing on my part keeps mine constantly in a position to fire. If he gets caught in a gyro-induced turn, then it's even easier to avoid his front, so strafe around to his weak side and go bonkers on him.

If I get flipped, self-right immediately, The good thing about a hammer as opposed to a flipper is that it'll self-right me away from the direction in which he'd be charging, obviously trying for a follow-up hit. I know that MP's legs are just such a checkov's gun to write getting lopped off, but Clown Recluse shouldn't have the speed to follow up, and I can self-right quickly and effectively in the opposite direction and immediately resume the offensive.

Overall, be extremely aggressive with the hammer, keeping him at range and firing away, expose his slow speed and meh maneuverability and use it to get angles on his very vulnerable chassis. I can do catastrophic damage every hit while he can't. I have room for error that he doesn't.

Good luck dude. May the best robot win.