Charybdis vs. Royale

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

Charybdis vs. Royale

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Wed May 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Charybdis

Speed 15 (but actually 3 because it's a melty)
Traction 1
Torque 1
Armor 10 (+2 teeth and outer ring, -2 baseplate and lid)
Weapon 3 (but actually 15 because it's a melty)

Royale
Speed 5, Traction 2, Torque 3, Weapon 13 (1 to Srimech), Armor 7

Analysis: He's faster than me (wow what a surprise), but with only 2 traction for 5 speed he may have trouble controlling his robot. He's got plenty of torque, but that's unlikely to be relevant because melties tend to bounce the robots apart after a hit. His effective weapon power is 12, which will do nothing to the parts of Charybdis he's likely to hit in a normal impact, and even if he hits my top or lid it might not be that bad. His own armor score is 7 vs. my weapon power of 15. I might be able to damage the drum after a bunch of hits, but more importantly he'll take serious damage if he gets hit anywhere else.

Strategy: Start by spinning up. If necessary, hide behind the killsaws closer to me - his armor isn't great so he may be reluctant to drive over them to get to me. Once at full speed, advance and hit him. If possible, aim for the curved wedgelets on his corners - their sides are nearly vertical, so a horizontal spinner like me should be able to grab onto them and either rip them off or tear his main body open.

After each hit I'll be slowed down a bit (but not stopped), but both bots will be knocked sideways a significant distance, giving me time to spin back up. If he approaches cautiously I ought to be able to keep out of reach until I'm at full speed just by backing away. If he tries a reckless charge, orient Charybdis's heading perpendicular to his line of attack and perform a "matador" maneuver - due to his poor traction he's likely to skid right past me, giving me more time to spin up or giving me a chance to hit his sides.

Repeat the strategy of "when spun up, attack and go for his corners, when not spun up avoid him" until one of us stops moving. Try to stay somewhat near the middle of the arena and don't drive into the hazards.

Good luck, and may the best robot win!

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Charybdis vs. Royale

Post by attackfrog » Sat May 28, 2016 8:37 pm

All right, the classic horizontal versus vertical spinner matchup. With the omni drive I should be able to keep my drum between Charybdis and the rest of Royale without too much difficulty.
At the inevitable moment of impact, I'm going to be spun sideways and Charybdis should be launched into the air by my drum. It's invertible, but hopefully will spend some time crashing around while I get back in position and spin the drum up again.
Of course, this is all going to end in disaster, because I've only got 11 armor on my drum to his 15 weapon power. But on the plus side, with only 1 torque, it will take a long time for him to spin up, I should think. Hopefully if I stay on the attack, which I will, I'll be able to get at him before he gets up to full speed every time, and win through aggression.
I'll keep the drum facing Charybdis and just keep charging in until I can't charge no mo'.