Falling Down vs. Zombie Killer

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:55 am

Okay, I
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

joeychevron

Post by joeychevron » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:13 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Nik Kershaw &#045; The Riddle</dt><dd> 1984</dd></dl><div>Near a tree by the river there's a hole in the ground
Where an old man of Arran goes around and around
And his mind is a beacon in the veil of the night
For a strange kind of fashion there's a wrong and a right
But he'll never, never, fight over you[/quote]
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Falling Down will be using its extra armour panels bolted above or below and strengthening the whole of the Ti/V monocoque for this fight, although as before (I think it was the Terabyte fight?) with the two hinged spikes on the wedge end not present, and so the stats look a bit like this:

Armour: 9-7 to Falling Down (although ZK's scoop is 9)
Speed: 8-7 to Zombie Killer
Traction: 6-6 draw

The two robots are quite even so this is probably going to be decided largely based on the various accoutrements and design features each robot has - and Zombie Killer is a good design so this is going to be quite difficult I think, hats off to Josh for that.

Falling Down, in the configuration used, has hinged skirts on the sides, a sprung hinged wedge at the wedge end, and sprung hinged spikes at both the spike end and protecting the wheel guards. This serves the dual purpose of making it hard for things to get underneath Falling Down while making it easy for Falling Down to get underneath things - Zombie Killer, for its part, only has a wedge on the front that I can assume is hinged, although the picture is ambiguous and in no place in the description is this stated so it could just as easily be static. If so, though, it would be far far easier to beat than it has proven so for now I shall go with the tentative assumption that the wedge is hinged. On the sides and rear it has no wedge protection at all, and on the front its wedge is only hinged and so, if past precedent is used, it only has a chance of getting underneath me at bits of the sides where my wheels can get traction and take me off the wedge quickly. However, working in theory is kind of tricky ;P so I shall not rely on this and go for it with my sprung hinged parts at either end.

The other thing I note is the difference in how each robot's drive is set up. Falling Down has a one point difference between its speed and traction, and two wheel drive, while Zombie Killer has double that difference and four wheel drive. This should make Zombie Killer a bit more difficult to control than Falling Down and certainly less maneuvrable than I am, and I intend to exploit this fully as it more than negates his slightly faster speed. Zombie Killer also has to exhibit greater control of the robot to turn its wedge to where it wants it to go, due to the wedge's distance from the centre of rotation, while with the spike end at least Falling Down's getting-underneath-robots-parts are far closer to the centre of rotation and therefore more finesse should be able to be be exerted in using them.

The tactics are what our leftpondian cousins refer to as 'where it's at' though, and I shall move on to those with great haste happy.gif I shall mainly attack with the spike end unless it would be quicker - e.g. when both robots are broadside on to each other and so close as to be virtually alongside each other - to use the wedge end, or if the wedge just happens to be nearer when a golden opportunity to get underneath presents itself. My aim will be to avoid the front wedge with superior maneuvrability and speed of turning (due to the greater friction caused by four wheel drive) and get in - eventually if necessary, although try not to leave my sides open to attack - underneath the sides or rear, whichever happens first. If/when Zombie Killer is on the spikes or wedge, either the little barbs (on the spikes) or the tyre cutting blades (on the wedge) will stop it getting off easily and ideally high centre it on Falling Down, and I shall take Zombie Killer to the hammers and allow them to come down on Zombie Killer repeatedly and hold it there, not letting boredom get the better of me if I have it trapped, until it expires and ceases to move. This might take a while and there may be a rule against pinning, if that is the case just before the pin time is up I shall quickly reverse away from Zombie Killer while the hammer is down, thus pinning it in for a few seconds more, and go straight back forward and in again to resume another period of pinning and/or scoop it up and drive it back in.

If possible I shall allow the hammer to get one or more hits on the wedge which will hopefully bend and break it and prevent it getting underneath me, or on the wheels and try to restrict its mobility (or on the armour around the wheels that are most off the ground, with the aim of having the hammers bend said armour down and jamming the drivetrain on that side)

I may break up the hammering with an occasional visit to the drum; no killsaws, though, please smile.gif

I shall make it a priority to avoid being flipped as it would restrict me to only using the spike end, and that will be my tactic should it happen (although if I'm not damaged myself much, going straight for the drum to reright myself would be a nice idea ^^ although if it might cause me serious damage I shall avoid doing that)

Avoid going over or into the hazards myself if I can, don't allow myself to become caught in an endless chase around any hazards, and if at all possible try not to lose. ;P

Good luck Josh; may the best man, robot, or wedge of Shropshire Blue cheese win.[/quote]

That was my strategy last time, and it more or less still applies really...this being the playoffs I will avoid being flipped more than I did and be a lot more aggressive; I would very much like to be involved in the final and would go so far as to say that, against a former champion, I am certain I want this chance more than ZK ever could.

Good luck Josh.