What's up, bitches! It's your boy Lazarus. Thought y'all could get rid of me so easily? Well, you thought wrong. If you're wondering who the fuck I even am, so much the better. That means that this tournament is for you!
Basically, while this event is open to anybody, spots are limited to eight and preference will be given to rookies (freshmen), veterans returning after a layoff (legends), and sophomores before other members (veterans).
1. FF League will have an entry draw of eight ten bots. One weight class only: Middleweight (120 lbs). I'm doing all of the writing myself so, no, it's not going to expand. I don't wanna manage a large event. Fuck. Okay, you get ten bots, Superbomb and Jorji offered to help write and imma need 'em.
2. This'll be done in Swiss format. If you're not familiar with it, I suggest you get familiar. Look here.
3. We'll be using the Dirty Dozen rules because I wanna test you noobs out. There are opportunities in that set but also pitfalls. Let's see how well you can navigate them.
4. The usual stuff about deadlines (Saturday midnights EST), RP word limits (400), and reading or referencing your opponent's strategy post (don't do it!). Since this is FF League, I'm gonna be lenient about... FFs (had to make the dadjoke). Shit's due by midnight (actually 11:59 PM), but you basically have until I roll out of bed the next morning to submit. Take your chances if you like.
5. The entry deadline is... let's say 11:59 PM EST, Saturday April 17. If the event isn't filled, I'll toss in some fun bots. If we have too many entries, priority will be given in order of freshmen > legends > sophomores > everyone else. Priority tiebreaks will be order of signup.
6. The arena will rotate between the three below from week to week. You can find their complete dossiers here.
- Razor's Edge
- The Noir
- The Grid
FF League will use a novel scoring system based on the usual criteria. However, it will not be a 'must' system, where all points from each criterion will automatically be distributed. For example, if neither bot does much damage, perhaps damage will only be scored 2-2. If both fail to show much aggression, the same guideline applies.
- Damage: 7 points - how much damage is dealt to the opposing bot as a direct and intentional result of your actions.
- Aggression: 7 points - the extent to which you are taking an active role in the match and initiating attacks. This does not necessarily mean rabid aggression for its own sake. Effectiveness matters.
- Control: 7 points - the degree to which you dictate the flow of the match and are able to impose your gameplan on your opponent.
Additionally, this event will score matches by victor and by 'set'. The victor will receive two points in the overall standings for their victory and each bot will receive one point in the event of a tie. However, both bots (regardless of win, tie, or loss) will also score a point for each 'set' won. Basically, each 'set' represents one judging criterion (damage, aggression, control). A category won gives you one extra point. A category tied gives you 0.5 extra points. In the event of a knockout, all sets will be considered to have been won by the victor.
- Win: 2 points
- Tie: 1 point
- Loss: 0 points
- Set Win: 1 point
- Set Tie: 0.5 points
- Set Loss: 0 points
- Mayfly (rookie): Crash Test Granny - Not Your Average Team
- Jorji (rookie): Jack - Team Eagle
- TurtleBack! (rookie): Spooky Month - Team ShellShockers
- moziet (rookie): PuriN II - The Candy Store
- Colon_The (rookie): Charlotte: The Astonishing Shelob - Team Questionable Strategies
- NickyDustyOwl (rookie): Green Eggs & Slam - Team Taco Hell
- TDG does ARC (rookie): Crime Scene - Team CSI
- Badnik96 (legend): Tiamat - Team Ignition
- Rinzler (sophomore): Fustercluck II - Team Rinzler
- Archangel (veteran): Black Lagoon - Interrobang Robotics
- attackfrog (veteran): unknown - Aquatic Robotics
- V900 (veteran): unknown - End of the Line LLC
- British-Robotics (veteran): unknown - Team British Robotics
- YSMQTHLQYH (veteran): Airbornificator 9000 - Team Design Flaw
- patrickrowberry (veteran): Deadshot - Team Cardboard Pony
- Trihunter (veteran): unknown - Cool Story Brobotics
- Wolf51-50 (veteran): More Puzzles! - Alpha Robotics
At this point, the bracket is tentative only. You can find it here on Challonge. It will be updated as entries come in and, later, as the tournament progresses.