Welcome one, welcome all to the 2019-2020 Cherry Bomb Classic, hosted by Elon Musk, in the proud tradition of previous gimmicky sponsors. As with all past iterations, there will also be wacky arenas galore! Don't like it? Run your own major! You will have the chance to vote on which ones will be used, however. Stay tuned for more information and the upcoming poll. Finally, weight classes: we're sticking with four, since ARC has a problem with finishing things: Featherweight, Lightweight, Middleweight, and Heavyweight. Superheavyweight will be back next time around at the expense of Featherweight.
We're continuing with last year's format. It worked well and the tournament finished without running significantly off-schedule or overburdening writers. The entry cap for each weight class will remain twenty-one robots. You will also have to actually post here and reserve for each of the weight classes that you want to participate in individually, just like last year and in ROBOTS. Further, you are not obligated to enter all four. In fact, we encourage you to ARC in moderation so that you can enjoy your ARCing to the fullest.
In case you've forgotten, here's how it works: you're going to 'hard' reserve up to three bots. Any more than that (the fourth) must be a 'soft' reserve. In the event that a weight class fills up, the soft reserves will be bumped out in reverse order of how they signed up. In the entrant listing below, soft reserves will be indicated through the use of italics. If you wish to switch a bot from hard to soft reserve or vice versa, you may do so once per entry. Please remember to ping me on discord when you do.
Each weight class will consist of three groups of seven bots each, which means that each bot will receive one bye week. The top three bots from each group will qualify for single-elimination playoffs, though the eighth and ninth seeds will will face off first to see who makes it in. Then everything will proceed normally until someone raises the coveted CBC Bowl of Cherries! See? It's not that complicated.
Signups will close at 11:59 PM EST on Wednesday, January 15, 2020 to give us some time to do seedings and brackets (and our customary voice chat), and then the tournament will begin on Sunday, January 19. Due dates for strategies will be the standard Saturday 11:59 PM EST. If you need an extension for whatever reason, ask me a couple of days ahead of time, and I'm not about to be a dick about it.
Saying that you weren't sure about the rules is no excuse for messing up an RP/result/first date. It's all written right over here. It's basically just the standard ruleset that we use for CBC, Thunderground, and Reddit stuff, with some new modifications regarding wedge rules and projectiles. Give it a read if you ever find yourself in a waiting room or at a bus stop. If there's something you don't understand or need clarified (and by 'need clarified', I don't mean 'passive-aggressively' comment on something that you don't like in it), feel free to ask me in discord or on the forums. I also might need to add a few things that we've discussed. Remind me. I'll do it. I swear.
The weird and wonderful arenas are a big part of the Cherry Bomb Classic experience, and they're back again this year, with more options than ever before and some of the balance issues from last year hopefully addressed. This year, we'll have ten of them, as voted upon by you, the community. The arenas will be divided by weight class and each will appear twice, with five for the featherweights and lightweights, and five for the middleweights and heavyweights (the eliminator round will be considered part of the quarterfinals for the purposes of arenas).
In order of when they'll feature, the terrific ten are:
Round One: Razor's Edge (FW/LW) & Black Sun (MW/HW) - weeks 1 and 2
Round Two: Gothiq (FW/LW) & The Woodshed (MW/HW) - weeks 3 and 4
Round Three: Ironworks (FW/LW) & The Noir (MW/HW) - weeks 5 and 6
Round Four: Hall of Ice and Wind (FW/LW) & Stormhavn (MW/HW) - weeks 7 and 8
Round Five: The Asylum (FW/LW) & The Grid (MW/HW) - weeks 9 and 10
Round Six: The Asylum (FW/LW) & The Grid (MW/HW) - weeks 11 and 12
Round Seven: Hall of Ice and Wind (FW/LW) & Stormhavn (MW/HW) - weeks 13 and 14
Eighth Place Eliminators: Ironworks (FW/LW) & The Noir (MW/HW) - week 15
Quarterfinals: Ironworks (FW/LW) & The Noir (MW/HW) - week 16
Semifinals: Gothiq (FW/LW) & The Woodshed (MW/HW) - week 17
Championship: Razor's Edge (FW/LW) & Black Sun (MW/HW) - week 18
With the size of the draw and the available writing staff, the tournament will alternate weeks between lighter weights and heavier weights, so RPing and writing will both be pretty low-burden affairs, with only two fights per week. Assuming that all goes as planned, CBC3 will finish up on May 23, around the time that the new season of Battlebots (and ARC) begins. For further information on the arenas, take a look over here. I highly recommend familiarizing yourselves with them. Using their features wisely has often proven to be the difference between victory and defeat.
Last year, CBC went very smoothly thanks to a large, reasonably-worked, and enthusiastic staff. I think we'd all love a repeat of that this year, so our threshold is ten. Thankfully, we've reached it with ease. I'd like to thank the twelve who've volunteered and remind any others who are thinking of doing so that we could always use more!
Writers and the other people who volunteer are the engines that run these events. If you can participate, you can also pitch in to make this work for all of us. The more writers that there are, the faster that results get posted and the less that each writer has to do. Writing isn't just work, either. Joining the staff allows you input into decisions, ensures that your concerns will be heard, and helps you see how this is working. It'll also make me like you.
The staff we have so far are:
1) The Monsterworks (The Monsterworks)
2) Hooray For Lexan (Team Instant Regret)
3) Madman (Tartarus Robotics Group)
4) Trihunter (Cool Story Brobotics)
5) YSMQTHLQYH (Team Design Flaw)
6) The_Angry_Goat (Interrobang Robotics)
7) Shaba 117 (Team Stealth Productions)
8) V900 (End of the Line LLC.)
9) Tcrrr (Code Pink Robotics)
10) Billy5545 (Team Eagle Robotics)
11) Carpedav000 (Team Rinzler)
12) This could be you!
13) Aren't you lucky!
14) This spot has your name on it!
15) Your name would look real nice here...
16) Hey hey hey!
17) It's yours if you'd only ask.
18) Last is not least!
- The Monsterworks: Finishing Move
- Code Pink Robotics: Puffy Cloud
- Team Ignition: Black Salvo
- Team Riptide: I Can’t Believe It’s Not Tanto
- Team Ether: Chinesium II
- Cool Story Brobotics: Gas Gas Gas
- Team Design Flaw: Vindicator
- Aquatic Robotics: Lil' Yeetums
- Team C/D: (withdrawn)
- Team 57: Nikkousen
- Team Stealth Robotics: (withdrawn)
- Tartarus Robotics Group: Black Dog III
- End of the Line LLC.: Untitled Goose Robot
- Team Instant Regret: Ori
- Ice Cubed Robotics: Taipan
- Team Rinzler: Wasp 2
- Killjoy Syndicate: CIRCUITZ
- Team Eagle Robotics: Angry Bird: Seed Killer Gen II
- Alpha Robotics: NRG II
- Team British Robotics: Irritant
- Team Cardboard Pony: gabrial
- Team Goober: Mass Destruction
- The Monsterworks: Magnolia Pico
- Code Pink Robotics: Boring Grey Wedge
- Team Ignition: Shade Fist
- Team Riptide: Mastodonosaurus
- Team Ether: National Security
- Cool Story Brobotics: Scrapper
- Team Design Flaw: Apeirogon
- Aquatic Robotics: Bluetooth
- Team C/D: King Crimson
- Team Stealth Robotics: (withdrawn)
- Team Worst Swordsman: Trilobite
- Tartarus Robotics Group: Blood Eagle
- Interrobang Robotics: Broken Tooth
- End of the Line LLC.: Final Mecha Catbot
- Team Instant Regret: (no entry)
- Ice Cubed Robotics: TSA 2.1
- Team Rinzler: Golden MADD 2
- Team Eagle Robotics: Eagle's Hawk
- Alpha Robotics: 25 of 6 to 4
- Team Cardboard Pony: wheelosaurous
- Team Goober: Diamond Head
- Team British Robotics: Fork Factor
- Team Hop: Voltaic
- The Monsterworks: Magnolia Grande
- Code Pink Robotics: Pizza 2
- Team Ignition: Unnamed & Untamed
- Team Riptide: The Act of Being Polite
- Team Ether (no entry)
- Cool Story Brobotics: Tower of Gray
- Team Design Flaw: Pressure Flop II
- Aquatic Robotics: Carapace
- Team C/D: Spinnerfood: Bites the Dust
- Team 57: Remi 4
- Team Stealth Robotics: (withdrew)
- Team Worst Swordsman: Dragonfist
- Tartarus Robotics Group: Hoarfrost IV
- Interrobang Robotics: Space Bee
- End of the Line LLC.: Acrid
- Team Instant Regret: Skoll
- Ice Cubed Robotics: Paradox
- Team Rinzler: (no entry)
- Killjoy Syndicate: Momma Bear
- Team British Robotics: V-Trigger
- Alpha Robotics: Diablo Genesis III
- Team Cardboard Pony: lillyfrog & jack hammer
- The Monsterworks: Glacier III
- Code Pink Robotics: Swamp Thing
- Team Ignition: Electro-Death
- Team Riptide: Xtreme pneumatiX
- Team Ether: Icebreaker
- Cool Story Brobotics: Petaflare
- Team Design Flaw: Padoru Machina
- Team C/D: Killer Queen
- Team 57: Fork Bomb
- Team Stealth Robotics: Kill em All
- Team Worst Swordsman: Tabor Mark 4
- Tartarus Robotics Group: Santangelo
- Interrobang Robotics: The No Fun Machine
- End of the Line LLC.: linkinparknumb.mp3.exe
- Team Instant Regret: Defenstrator
- Ice Cubed Robotics: Dreadnought Mk. 4
- Team Rinzler: FusterCluck
- Nighthawk Robotics: Long Arm of the Law
- Team British Robotics: Wallop
- Alpha Robotics: Outrage 3
- Team Cardboard Pony: pink wedge 2020
- Aquatic Robotics: Dat Boi
Well, ladies and gents, That's about all there is to say. I mean, if you have more, you can check out our discussion thread. Otherwise, get in there and kick some ass!